As per Hindu mythology, Kerala was created by Lord Parasurama, an avatar (incarnation) of Lord Vishnu by throwing his Axe across the sea to create new land for his devotees to live peacefully. Heavenly natural resources and people are welcoming everyone to visit the state. No major communal issues happened in Kerala, like any other states in India.
Records of Kerala state in India / World
- The first state to achieve 100% literacy rate in India.
- Kottayam is the first city in India to attain 100% literacy (in 1989). It is located in central Kerala area. Kottayam is a well-known place for education from history time. So Kottayam is known as “Akshara Nagari” (City of Letters).
- Ernakulam district,(Kerala state) was declared as totally literate in 1990. It’s the first district in India to have achieved 100% literacy.
- Kerala state achieved 100% literacy in 1991. It’s the first state to achieve 100% literacy rate in India. Now Kerala is top in the table of literacy rate in Indian states.
- State’s sex ratio is 1048 females: 1000 males. The national average is 945:1000. A prior check-up is not allowed for knowing the baby’s gender. No abortion related to upcoming baby’s gender. Boys and girls are getting equality everywhere.
- 1st rank in India for HDI (Human Development Index), which is comparable with some European countries. Kerala is the only State in India which remains in the “very high human development index (HDI)” as per, world-class standards.
- WHO (World Health Organization) and UNICEF declared Kerala to be the world’s first “Baby-friendly state” in the world.
- First complete digital state in India.
- The first state in India which is 100% electrified.
- Kottayam, Kerala became the first tobacco free district in India in 2008.
- Kottayam Port: India’s first inland Port is located in Kottayam municipality.
- Kerala is the least corrupt states in India. It’s 4%, which is far better than other states like, Karnataka (77%), Andhra Pradesh (74%), Tamilnadu (68%), Maharashtra (57%) and J& K (44%). (According to CMS – Indian Corruption Study 2017 and Transparency International Survey.)
- Kerala is the first state in India to offer free cancer treatment to the poor.
- Kerala state has the highest life expectancy in India, 77 years. The USA has 78.60 years & 71.59 years in Russia. Kerala state has a world-class level in health care. The state has a lot of hospitals in every corner including super specialty hospitals. Government hospitals are there in every village for free treatments. Private hospitals are getting a subsidy from the state government. So private hospital charges are less than any other cities in India.
- It has the highest media exposure in India. Newspapers are publishing in nine languages, mainly Malayalam and English.
- Technopark, Thiruvananthapuram is the first IT park in India and the largest IT park in Asia. Established in 1990 by the Government of Kerala. This ISO certified Technology Park has about 400 companies with more than 56000 employees. It is also known as the world’s greenest Technopolis.>
- Cochin International Airport is the first airport in India developed under a public-private partnership (PPP) model. It is the fourth busiest airport in India in terms of international traffic and the world’s first fully solar-powered airport. In 2018, it got Champion of the Earth award, the highest environmental honor instituted by the United Nations.
- Kerala has 4 international airport’s, which is the highest ratio in India.
- Asia’s largest, and the world’s third-largest, Naval Academy-Ezhimala Naval Academy is in Kerala.
- Idukki arch dam, the world’s second arch dam, and Asia’s first.
- World’s first Teak Plantation, World’s Largest and Longest Teak are in Kerala. World’s only one Teak Museum is in Nilambur, Kerala.
- Kerala is the first state in the country to have STD and ISD facilities in all its villages.
- Ancient Padmanabhaswamy temple in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala is the richest worship center in the world and in terms of assets gold and precious stones.
- Kerala is one of the first South Asian states which abolished the centuries-old practice of slavery. In 1812, the Travancore ruler Her Highness Maharani Lakshmi Bhai abolished the slave trade in Travancore state. After that, the Travancore king His Highness Uthradam Tirunal Maharaja banned all forms of slavery and slave trade in 1853. Then the neighboring princely state Kochi also banned slavery in 1872.
- The Travancore King His Highness Chithira Thirunal Balarama Varma Maharaja abolished the ban of Temple Entry Proclamation (low caste people were not allowed to go to temples) in 1936. It was a milestone in the history of Kerala and India. Gandhi sent a message to Travancore king: “ People call me “The Mahatma” and I don’t think I deserve it. But in my view, you have in reality become a “Mahatma”(great soul) by your proclamation at this young age, breaking the age-old custom and throwing open the doors of the Temples to our brothers and sisters whom the hateful tradition considered as untouchables. “
- In 2015 Idukki district, Kerala achieved the first district in India to be fully connected by high-speed broadband connectivity.
- Kerala has emerged as a truly ‘digital state’ with a mobile teledensity of 98% and Internet access covering over 80% of the population.
- Startup Village, Kochi is India’s first incubator business environment that is funded jointly by the public and private sector.
- Cochin Shipyard is one of the major shipbuilding and maintenance facility in India which is famous for Ship design, Shipbuilding & Ship repair. Cochin Shipyard built India’s first Indigenous Aircraft Carrier for Navy, INS Vikrant.
- India is the world’s 4th largest natural rubber producing country. Kerala state is producing 92% of rubber in India.
- NH 47A was the shortest highway in India. Now it’s the second-shortest highway in India. Length is 6 km between Kundannoor and Willingdon Island in Kochi, Kerala.
- Respects all genders with the same level:- Kerala government became the country’s first state to announce a transgender policy. Kochi have a special school for transgenders. Transgenders are working for Kochi metro rail.
- The state has the lowest population growth rate in India.
- Cleanliness. There is no house in Kerala without a bathroom or toilet. First rank in India as a state. Taking bath two times a day is a daily routine of Keralites.
- Every place has good libraries. DC Books, Kottayam is the first publishing house to get ISO certification in India, one of the largest literary publishers of India, which is publishing average 1500 books/year.
- Highest health rate in India. 2,700 government medical institutions in the state, with 330 beds per 100,000 population. Rulers of the states of Travancore and Kochi took the initiative to implement the western health care system in Kerala in the 19th century.
- The Kochi metro project is the first metro in the country which connects rail, road and water transport facilities. World’s first metro whose entire management operations are handled by women.
- School Arts Festival of Kerala (Kerala School Kalolsavam) is considered to be the biggest cultural event of Asia, which is conducted by the state government of Kerala.
Quick Facts about Kerala – The God’s own country:
Local languages: Malayalam, Tamil, and English
Sex ratio: 1048 female(s)/1000 male(s)
International Airports: Cochin International Airport, Trivandrum International Airport, Karipur International Airport & Kannur International Airport. [The upcoming, Sabarigiri International Airport will be in Central Kerala area.]
Similarly, do you want to get some more information?
Therefore, please check the next post:- Why Kerala is known as God’s own country – Part 2 for more pieces of information. Thanks,
Latest posts by Sanju (see all)
- Why Kerala is known as God’s own country – Part 2 - June 20, 2019
- Why Kerala is known as God’s own country - November 1, 2018
- Basic tips – Mobile application development with Ionic - October 15, 2018